The wilfman cometh

Friday 14 December 2007

Martin McGuinness - Trend setter and fashion icon

Sites about mens fashion.....thats what I was looking for and I ended up at men.style.com. Not quite aimed at poor students in the fashion mecca of Edinburgh but alas.

Wandering into their Trend Report section, I see a picture straight out of Devs Ireland (transposed to New York), a red haired guy dressed in tweed accompanied by the title: "Eire Apparent". Being from "Eire", I was of course, intrigued.

Flicking through a slideshow, I come across a reference to the awful Wind that Shakes the Barley and then this:
I was immediately reminded of pictures and footage of Martin McGuinness; Northern Irelands deputy first minister and one half of the chuckle brothers, back in the 70s, when he was an upcoming young "freedom fighter". Wanting to confirm that my intuition was correct on this, it was off to Google with me where querying Martin McGuinness (along with the addition of MacStiofain) yielded this (note the vague correspondence in jumpers/tops):


So there you have it: Martin McGuinness; style icon and trend setter well before its time. Isn't it a pity that he was behind the times in other respects?

No comments: